Every few months, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) runs a block of classic Disney films. For the most part, these evenings include animated shorts and live-action feature films.
This month’s block of programming is on Wednesday, December 20, from 8pm until 6am. It includes one of my all-time favourites (the original Pete’s Dragon) and a film I’ve been meaning to see for a while (Toby Tyler). Better free up some space on your DVR, or make a BIG pot of coffee if you’d rather stay up to watch it!
This is a WONDERFUL way to finally see some of those older films you’ve likely missed. They’re all presented in High Definition (when available), with very limited (or no) commercial interruptions. Best of all, they’re all introduced by film critic and historian Leonard Maltin, an expert on classic Disney films, who does a great job of putting the films in context, without spoiling any of the plot points.
Here’s December’s lineup:
- 8:00pm: Mickey Mouse short: Brave Little Tailor (1938)
- 8:15pm: The Story of Robin Hood (1952)
- 9:45pm: The Sign of Zorro (1958)
- 11:30pm: Toby Tyler (1960)
- 1:15am: Mickey Mouse short: Tricks Of Our Trade (1957)
- 2:15am: Pete’s Dragon (1977)
- 4:30am: Fuzzbucket (1986)
Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is available in the Greater Toronto Area on channels:
- 48 or 563 on Rogers Cable
- 338 or 1338 on Bell Fibe TV
- 292 or 1283 on Bell Satellite TV
Check your local listings to find out which channel TCM is on in your area.